- a piece of missing information that completes the “puzzle”.
- the act or result of apprehending the inner nature of things or of seeing intuitively.
- an introspection and realization.
- the power of acute observation and deduction, penetration, discernment and perception.
- an understanding based on the identification of relationships and behaviours within a model, context or scenario.
- unpredicted and sudden realization, inspiration, insight, recognition or comprehension.
Aha-Erlebnis is regarded by most people as a realization that seems to manifest itself , a moment of brilliance to suddenly understand how to solve a difficult problem and provide us with a sudden insight, solution or answer to a problem that has been troubling us for some time. However, attaching this “miraculous” implication to the concept Aha-Erlebnis is a gross and grave misunderstanding. To experience an aha-moment is “concealed” hard work.
The secret lies in 'a problem that has been troubling us for some time', implying that we have been thinking about and toying with different ideas for a while. Thus, an Aha-Erlebnis or aha-moment actually - in essence - is an insightful realization, resulting from analyzing, learning, preparedness, thinking, knowledge, previous experiences, courage to lift the bar and skills.
Insightful realization is identifying and the derivation of a “rule”, which efficiently links the cause (problem) with effect (solution). Insightful realizations fall into two main categories…
- Analysis of past experience to gain insight and understanding for use when necessary in the present and/or future (i.e. past experiences and lessons learned).
- Simulations of future scenarios using existing insights and understanding to estimate probable outcomes based on our current savvy of how things work (i.e. common sense).
Aha-Erlebnis requires time, practice, hard work and dedication to happen suddenly! Also, of great importance is to never dismiss nor ignore - however fleeting the moment might be - a though and/or observation of…
- …this is weird… or
- …this is quite peculiar…
Because, it normally spurs critical thinking and questioning which is at the very foundation of any Aha-erlebnis!