The Power of NOW
The POWER OF NOW is often quite a misinterpreted concept. Most people tend to associate “the power of now” with a fatalistic/non-caring attitude or waiting for some miracle or divine intervention to shape the future. Far from it! The Power of NOW - as an integral part of the human time realm - means that we use today to create a better future for tomorrow, by being aware of what is happening NOW, identify opportunities, alternatives and possibilities, embrace our responsibility (especially responsibilities disguised as choice - primarily complex decisions) and do not neglect our to the process of life.
All events that we have experienced in our life up to this moment, were created by our thoughts and believes that we held in the past. The words we used, the ideas we generate and our beliefs held… yesterday, last week, last year, some 5, 10, 15, 20 years ago… all created the experiences that we have at this moment; NOW!
However, our experiences were in the past. Today it is over and done with and there is “nothing” that we can do about it nor can we change the past. What is most important is NOW (the present moment)… what we choose to think, believe and say RIGHT NOW. For these actions will create our future, allow us to change direction in life, reach our destiny, achieve our dreams… or we remain stuck in a survival existence rut (i.e remaining a wild horse), dominated by our past… unable to become a survivor (i.e. an Oryx) who strive and live for the future.
What we decide right now - in the present moment - is going to shape our experiences of tomorrow… next week, next month, next year in 5 years' time, in 10 years, 15, …etc. Hence, we always start creating our tomorrow by our thoughts, ideas and beliefs….NOW… and in the present!
We can use our past experiences as either a challenge for sharpening specific survival competencies (i.e. learning of lessons) or as an excuse to remain a passive victim of circumstances. The future is our co-creation opportunities. The future represents our goals, visions, dreams and hopes. BUT the present… is the only change we have to take action!
Thus, we can only change circumstances by taking action NOW… not our past, nor our future can change circumstances or events… ONLY THE NOW!
The significance and real value of the POWER OF NOW (and seize the moment) is essential for modern times, because we are presently living…
- in a world, dominated by a political-marketing view of the future of what might or could be by rectifying the past;
- in reality, dominated by the past of what was, is and should be and doesn't tolerate changes and littered with cognitive dissonances;
- with a mindset that changing or transforming dreams into reality, is only possible when you have the materialistic means and… plenty of money!
The essential philosophy underlying the POWER of NOW - based on an old Japanese proverb - is… Dreams without action merely are daydreams and lead to nowhere, BUT actions without dreams frequently become a nightmare and tend to turn into destructive chaos. The power of now also implies that we should respect and protect any individual's freedom of choice (dreams) at all cost, BUT also constantly remind them of their responsibilities, group accountabilities and making them aware of the possible consequences of their choices and their subsequent actions. Because the same as with dreams (hopes), reality is merely electric impulses (from our ) interpreted by our mindset and beliefs (i.e. The Power of NOW). Therefore, reality (often incorrectly claimed as the absolute truth) is merely thoughts, ideas, views and perspectives… thus, a matter of perception.
Therefore, OUR POINT OF POWER IS ALWAYS IN THE PRESENT (the NOW!) and our opportunities in future are the result of our choices in the present… our choices isn't determined by the opportunities that we currently have… although we are inclined and conditioned to believe so.
Therefore, beginning today and right NOW! I WILL…
- No longer worry about yesterday. Yesterday is in the past, and the past will never change. Only I can change, by choosing to do so, NOW!
- No longer worry about tomorrow. Tomorrow will always be there, waiting for me to make the most of it. BUT I cannot make the most of tomorrow, without making the most of today first.
- Look in the mirror, and I will see a person worthy of my respect and admiration. This capable person looking back at me is someone I enjoy spending time with, and someone I would like to get to know better.
- Cherish every moment of my life. Value the many gifts, bestowed upon me in this world and unselfishly share these gifts with others.
- Take a moment to step off the beaten path and to reflect on and venture into the many mysteries that life has to offer.
- Face my challenges with courage and determination. Overcome the barriers, hindering me in my growth and self-improvement with dignity.
- Take life one day at a time. Facing life one step at a time, not allowing discouragement to overcast my enthusiasm for life, or desire to succeed, nor my capacity for love and expressing compassion.
- Walk with renewed faith in human kindness. Regardless of what has happened before and believe there is hope for a much brighter and better future.
- Open my heart and mind and welcome new experiences.
- Not expect perfection from myself, nor anyone else. Perfection does not exist in an imperfect world; BUT I will applaud all attempts to overcome human imperfections, INCLUDING my own efforts!
- Be responsible for my own The Power of NOW in life can always be found in the simplest of things and gestures!and start doing the things that make me happy. Admire the beautiful wonders of nature, listen to my favourite song, pet a baby, enjoy an ice cream or soak myself in a bubble bath. Pleasure and
- Learn something new. Try something different and embrace all the various flavours that life has to offer. Change what I can and let go of the rest. Strive to become the best ME that I can possibly be!
- When destiny calls, do not waste time by looking over my shoulder who is following me. Because everybody only sees what I seem to be like, but only a special few know who I am.