The AltanaESP vision originally started with the HSRC’s ‘De Lange Report‘ – published in 1981 – regarding the educational and training situation in South Africa. The report highlighted many foreseeable educational and training problems. Which – back in 1981 – was merely identified as problems that require urgent attention to avoid a possible crisis in future. Unfortunately – over the years of not taking constructive action – these problems gradually escalated into the present day educational and training crisis, that are very difficult to address successfully or to find any viable long term solutions for.
[showhide type=”problems” more_text=”De Lange Report – Core issues (show)” less_text=”De Lange Report – Core issues (hide)”]
When the De Lange Report was originally studied – with particular attention paid to Report No. 7 (Investigation into Education: Guidance) – the following problem areas seems to capture the essence of a looming E&T future crisis…
- A rapid expanding learner and student base with an increasing need for individualised and quality guidance services, that will enable youths to confidently deal with a rapid changing modern world of work, by mastering essential competencies.
- Education and training assessment and guidance is too standardized and prescriptive to actually accommodate individual needs and differences.
- Fast growing and rapid changing E&T needs, the gradual failing of up-to-date expertise and shrinking resources.
- Spiralling costs of E&T, that will deprived many youths from gaining access to quality education and training opportunities.
- An accelerating and widening gap between the needs and requirements of the work place (i.e. job market), and that which is offered by the existing E&T structure.
- Technological developments that aren’t applied purposefully to the enhancement and benefit of learning activities and events.
Operational research commenced in 1986, steered by the findings of the de Lange Report, and focus primarily on achieving an efficient interacting balance between the human spring and modern day technology. Research results was – and still is – carefully monitored and formulated hypothesis are adapted accordingly, which – over the years – gradually and systematically shape AltanaESP developments to evolve into the present day AltanaESP Network and System state, which successfully combine a number of key features to alleviate some of the core E&T issues presently experienced.
[showhide type=”features” more_text=”Key Features (show)” less_text=”Key Features (hide)”]
It is important to realise and understand that the AltanaESP Network & System’s key features, can only be effectively implemented, when grounded in and souring from a balanced interaction and a coordinated synergy between the functions of…
[accordions title=”” speed=”800″ active=”0,2″ theme=”jqueryui”]
[accordion title=”The Human Spring ⇒ what man can do best!”]
- Can sense and react to minimum stimuli
- Environmental and contextual awareness
- Focus, amplification and troubleshooting ability
- Imaginative, improvising, reasoning and flexibility in thinking
- Able to instantly and efficiently switch from one contextual area to another
- Long-term integrated data/information storage (memory) of great capacity
- Perception of time, space, depth and recognition of patterns
- Anticipation (i.e. educated guess) skill, sourcing from past & present experiences in relation to future expectations
- Interpolation, extrapolation and estimations or predictions
- Environmental translation and transferability of functionality
- Inductive, deductive, logical reasoning and common sense
- Complex monitoring, evaluation, judgements and decisions or choices
- Able to maintain homoeostasis, sustain an environmental equilibrium and harmony
[accordion title=”Technology ⇒ what machine can do best!”]
- Computing, calculation and applying of well defined formulas
- Differentiation and separation
- Classification, grouping and categorization
- Tireless and deliver accurate results at great speeds
- Ability for massive amounts of computations, delivered smoothly, precisely and accurately
- Constant, precise and meticulous with routine task and repetition
- Long-term categorized data/information storage of expandable capacity, up to a point that is
- Statistical processing and graph plotting
- Simulations, displays and presentations
- Simple yes/no or true/false decisions
- Can deliver peak performance any time of the day and for extended periods of time
When there is an appropriate synchronicity between “what man and machine can do best“, the following Network & System features are accountably supportive to guidance, facilitation and coaching services…
- Coordinated support and information sharing platforms for rendering efficient multidisciplinary services to clients of all ages.
- Build in flexibility to individualise and customize both services offered (Network) and applications used (System), to accommodate personal needs and requirements.
- Number of activity logs for record keeping purpose and to limit time & energy spend on the keeping and maintaining of administrative records.
- Various integrated forums to encourage and maximize ongoing participation.
- Data is saved in one easy accessible domain database for easier and more accurate record filtering.
- Reporting structure to easily distribute and update information amongst multidisciplinary team members, as and when necessary.
- Tracking cycle to monitor interaction and progress, both in online and offline events.
- Productivity Suite which runs parallel to Network activities, streamlining the administration and management of services and/or projects.
- Ongoing operational research, linked with a collaborative project management platform.
- Quality Assurance, troubleshooting and a problem solving tracking division.
Since operational research commenced in 1986, research data and information collected, are continually evaluated to determine (i) the present efficiency level of AltanaESP N&S “performances” and (ii) to initiate corrective actions, if and when necessary. The research data collected and processed, as well as client feedback (N = 3,482 individuals), strongly suggest that the present Network & System developments are able to viably address many modern day E&T problems, particularly with regards to…
- The growing numbers of learners in need of quality and individualised guidance/coaching services and
- rendering cost-efficient guidance, educational and training support services to the majority of individuals.
The latter became realistically feasible with of the open-source initiative that started in 1998 and – since then – increased in popularity to such an extent that – by conservative estimations – it presently save consumers (world wide) a whopping $60 billion per annum… and the figure is still increasing exponentially. The open-source initiative greatly benefit the ongoing R&D of the AltanaESP Network & System, mainly because it provides a cost-efficient option to thoroughly explore, test and research a number of different application, in order to select the applications that either meet N&S requirement “out-of-the-box” or can be tweaked/adapted to meet needs as identified.
In summary it can be said that the AltanaESP Network & System vision kicked off with the problems and obstacles highlighted by the 1981 de Lange Report. The vision gradually took shape, matured and evolved notably since 1986, as a result of ongoing operational research conducted and client feedbacks received. When the open-source movement was launched in 1998, the R&D’s scope and extent was significantly boosted that – otherwise – would have been a very costly exercise. Therefore, years of research as supported by the open-source initiative, culminated in a robust Network & System that proofs to be most productive, very useful and efficient within a multidisciplinary delivery of services context.
The AltanaESP System (i.e. the technology & applications) does serve as a powerful electronic support base for AltanaESP Network activities (i.e. the delivering of individualised and customized services) to be rendered more efficiently and costs can be contained within affordable parameters for the majority of individuals using such services… providing that the AltanaESP N&S is responsibly integrated and accountably combined with a multidisciplinary service framework and Community Centre setting.